Housing + Rentals
Supporting the needs of residents and visitors is a challenge in the Tahoe Truckee area. The economics of a visitor economy have a heavy impact on residents, particularly in the area of housing. In the Spring of 2017, the Mountain Housing Council was formed. This Council brings together 25 committed stakeholders to take on the unique and pressing challenges of housing in the North Tahoe-Truckee region. Their vision, all people that work and live in the Tahoe-Truckee region have access to diverse, quality and achievable housing. Their mission, working to accelerate solutions to local and achievable housing for those that live in the Tahoe-Truckee region. Watch the video below to learn more and sign-up to participate.
Housing for the People
The “Housing for the People” series sheds light on the Tahoe/Truckee housing crisis, with an eye toward solutions.
To help address this problem, the Town of Truckee participated in a Regional Housing Study. The findings of the study highlight housing issues that are impacting local businesses and community members:
- Only 40% of Truckee-North Tahoe’s workforce lives in the region, 60% commuting from outside the area. These commuters include resorts workers, construction workers, teachers, firefighters and police.
- 50% of the people who live here do not work here, commuting outside the area for work.
- Across the region, 65% of the homes are vacant, most of them for seasonal or occasional use. The remaining 35% of the housing stock is insufficient for the housing needs of the community’s workforce primarily due to age, size, affordability and availability.
- Significant challenges persist in programs and policies designed to meet the housing needs of residents.
These issues create a fast-moving, competitive sales and rental market, overcrowding, loss of residents to other communities, and increased response time for public services, among others.
The Tahoe Truckee Community Foundation (TTCF) recently completed a comprehensive 2016 Regional Housing Study. The breadth of the study includes an assessment of current workforce and tourism trends, the housing market, housing policies, and assistance programs. The study shares case studies of sister mountain destination communities, local upcoming housing proposals, and future workforce demand estimates. bae urban economics completes the study with suggestions of program and policy solutions that could help the North Tahoe region solve our complex housing needs.
Based on these studies, TTCF and other community leaders identified these next steps:
- Develop a Regional Workforce Housing Action plan, including housing production targets, housing mitigation regulations and requirements, housing development standard, incentives, housing assistance program, deed restrictions, workforce housing enforcement, and housing rehabilitation and preservation.
- Establish a Regional Housing Council as a public and private partnership that would obtain financial and partner commitments for ongoing support, identify an entity to act as a fiscal agent, and provide advocacy and education.
- Investigate Public Land Utilization opportunities
Where Can Someone Go for Help with Housing Issues?
Housing Resource List for Truckee-North Lake Tahoe
Nevada County Resources
Placer County Resources
Nevada & Placer County
Housing Choice Voucher
HUD rental voucher for very low- and low-income households.
HOME Rental Assistance
One-time renter security deposit assistance for households earning less than 80% of median family income.
First Time Homebuyer Truckee
BEGIN Reuse Program
A first time homebuyer revolving loan fund for households earning 80%-16% of median family income.
CalHOME Reuse Program
A first time homebuyer revolving loan fund for households earning less than 80% of median family income.
Lease to Own
Lease-to-Own Program (Regional Housing Authority). Partnered with Applied Residential Inc. on a lease-to-own program.
Down Payment Assistance
CRHMFA Homebuyers Fund
Down payment grant of up to 5% of home purchase price.
Martis Fund Homebuyer Assistance Program
Down payment assistance program
Housing Trust Fund
Provides matching funds for grant applications.
Down Payment Assistance
Low interest second loans to qualifying first time buyers.
Housing Rehabilitation Loans
Small grants and loans to low-income (under 80% median family income) homeowners for repairs.
Energy Efficiency and Weatherization Grants
Grants for weatherization and energy efficiency; energy crisis intervention and utility assistance.
Apartments + Rentals
How to Find a Rental
Other tricks are to join the Facebook Truckee-Tahoe People and North Tahoe/Truckee Classifieds groups and enter "rentals" in the "Search this group" field. You could also do a post out to the community about yourself and what you're looking for.
Many landlords also post their rental listings on Reno Craigslist.com (enter "Truckee" in the search field).